Tuesday 7 February 2012

An Independent Review of The Fleet Street Letter

Okay, time for a shock confession.

A few years ago, I made the foolish mistake of thinking outside my normal realms of Investment Trusts on huge discounts and low-fee ETFs and started thinking of direct share investments.

Taken in by the "longest published newsletter in the UK...since 1937", I made the big mistake of signing up to the "Fleet Street Letter", or FSL.

While some of the articles on world politics and finances are interesting, the "letter" is basically a 4 page scrap of paper and their direct share tips are the biggest load of rubbish I have ever seen. This for three main reasons :-

1) The tips are recycled from other Agora publications, so by the time they make it to FSL they are no longer fresh or hot.

2) The articles subsequently get recycled into a variety of other publications, so you'll normally get to read them in the end - normally a week or two later in the free email advertising circular "The Daily Reckoning".

3) The letter comes out on a Friday, giving the thousands of subscribers a chance to know what the hot tip of the week is. Consequently, the market makers price up the shares on Monday, knowing that a load of Fleet Street Lemmings will pile in regardless.

Obviously the FSL performance figures are based on prices before this Monday, so there's no way investors can get in at the same price, but hey, it helps the performance figure look good when trying to sell it to new subscribers.

Please let this serve as a warning to anyone thinking of subscribing.

Just check out some of their tips in recent years : Widney, Wagon, Drax, Global Energy Development, Star Energy, Retail Decisions.

I admit to being taken in by the last one. I held the shares anyway, but their article made me think it was time to sell. It wasn't. They advised investors to sell at 140p just before the takeover at 200p!

Back to the world of ITs for me and the occasional direct share of my own choice. (Let the discount be your guide and don't be influenced by others, EVER!)

4 comments:

  1. I had, I can honestly say I still love reading their sensationalist literature, but with a more dispassionate look then I had before my subscribing mistake, so perhaps they taught me at least one vital financial lession after all - NEVER WASTE MONEY ON THE FLEET STREET LETTER. I think the UK has been on the brink of disaster for years, according to them, but we're all still alive. Thanks for the feedback :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect!!! What I can say in this article is very important to be written as it may help everybody to get awareness. Good job done.
    For more information :

    list building
    free email advertising
    free list building
    free mailing list
    build your list
    free email marketing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello

    Over a year ago I was foolish enough to invest in IGAS & Wood group on the advice of FSL through the auspices of 'Money Week' to which I am a regular subscriber.

    Shortly after this 'fracking' investment there were rumblings because the CEO of IGAS, who on their website looks like an associate of the Kray brothers, had sold his holding via the back door. We then had the stone drop oil price.

    I have lost 81% on IGAS & 22% on Wood Group.

    Should I report the editor of FSL, somebody Stevenson to the authorities for insider trading?
    I terminated my receipt of FSL a few days after they bounced me with an unannounced direct debit annual subscription. Fortunately I managed to get a refund, but had it gone unnoticed by me much longer I suspect I would not have been refunded. Most ethical companies give notice of intended DD transactions.

    Regards
    Malcolm Webster

    ReplyDelete
  4. SUDDEN DEMISE OF FSL!!
    After loosing it's way, padding the content with rubbish and becoming very irregular, the FSL has, without warning, disappeared, leaving those of us foolish enough to follow it's advice rudderless. It is to be replaced with the ramblings of an inarticulate American neo-con!
    This is yet another festering pile of odour abandoned by stateless Bill Bonner.
    Avoid All Agora publications!

    ReplyDelete